Sunday, March 25, 2007

Spring is finally here! (I think)

Few days late, but spring has finally found us, in the middle of nowhere Saskatchewan:)

Of course since we were super lucky and got 40% more snow than average, water is everywhere. The front parking lot is a swimming pool right now. I always thought we should have a parking spot on this side, since it is closest to our apartment. Today I am thankful that our parking spot is at the back of the building since it is not flooded:)

According to the weather forecast we will get few cold days in the next week or so, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that they are wrong.

Every time I explain how snow is in Saskatchewan to my southern Ontario friends, I get this puzzlement. One of my friend keeps on asking me so how many centimetres of snow do you have left? Well wait let me get my ruler out! In Ontario it snows one day, the snow is on the ground but cleared off the streets for a couple of weeks, then the weather warms up and all the snow melts, few weeks later another heavy snow fall come and snow is on the ground again, weather warms up, snow melts and again and again it happens few times a winter. Well in Saskatchewan it is different, we got a blizzard in early November, and about 20cm of snow on the ground. Then we got another snowfall, and another and another. It never warms up enough for the snow to melt here. So the snow that is still melting is the snow that fell in November. Why, why is this hard to understand? I have been explaining this to my friend for months now, and she still asks so how many cm do you have left now? So annoying!

On a happy note, I am off to the gym for the first time in two weeks. I have become one of those people that gyms love; I pay for my membership, but hardly use the facilities. O well not anymore, my it is too cold and I cannot drive on the snow excuse has diminished, and all I can say is good riddance to the cold and snow! Hope I don’t see you again for a long time, about nine months?

No comments: