Friday, March 2, 2007

Hair

As I was blow-drying my hair this morning, I am finally happy with hair after two disastrous hair cuts in Amman this past summer. This summer we went to Amman to attend my husband’s nephew’s wedding. I went to the hairdresser to get my hair done, a simple blow dry and to make my very thin hair look a bit thicker. I can do it nicely at home, but everyone is going to get theirs done at the salon, so I’ll just go along. I got my hair cut few days before I left Toronto, and I loved my hair. It was stylish and long enough to do whatever I wanted with it. So on the day of the wedding I went in to get my hair done, not cut! But finally I agreed on a trim. But the guy had his own ideas and who cares what I wanted. He is the expert right? He cut my hair; short, not too short. But it was short at that back and longer at the front. I hate how I looked. And he was going to make it so puffy and blah, I had to tell him to stop, and just blow dry my hair straight.
I was planning on waiting until I got back to Canada and get my hair cut, so the back is not so much longer than the front. But I could not wait 2 more weeks, so I went to another hair dresser, all I wanted was for him to cut few cm off the back so it flows with the front and side, so my hair is not like a triangle shape. Of course he did not listen to a word I said, he just cut away, I told him, no I don’t want it too short, but his ears were closed. O I was so mad. I am usually nice and would pretend I loved the cut and cry about it when I got home, but I could not stand it. I yelled at him, and he though what a crazy person. I could not afford to not look good and be comfortable in my own skin at the time, my husband was being a jerk and my self-esteem was down the drain. I did not need a bad haircut to make those last two week longer than they were. I will one day have to blog about how that.

It was a cute cut, but did not suit me at all, and I am a mother of two, sometimes I need to be ready in 10min including hair, makeup, dressed, and the fastest way to get ready in such a short time is to put my hair up. My hair is very thin and oily, so unless I wash and blow-dry it everyday it does not look good no matter how short or long it is. And I do not have that luxury everyday, so the easiest way is to just brush my hair pull it back and put the clip in..and traaaa all done.
I though the guy was a 7mar(idiot) who cut my hair, but I was reading a Jordanian blog, I cant remember whose now, but she said that she just went in and the hairdresser did what ever he wanted with her hair. In Canada I go in, I tell the hairdresser what I want exactly and she asks for my approval few times during the hair cut and styling. Seriously why didn’t anyone tell me that this is how it works in Jordan, my husband has 4 nieces, and two sisters plus a few handful of cousins and aunts, no one told me how it works, they just let me call the guy a 7mar and hope he breaks his arm. I do not remember how cutting hair was in Lebanon since I left when I was 10 year old, and since then I have never got my hair cut anywhere but in Canada, and now I know I will not be entering a salon in Amman. What am going to do if we move there, I cannot come back to Canada every 6-8wks for a haircut!:( I guess that is one cultural shock I was not counting on eh?

6 comments:

7aki Fadi said...

Where did you go? what Salon, I go to Emad in 3abdoun, never had a problem, I am afraid to get a hair cut here in Canada becase i have curly hair and they suck big time, they don't know how to dry it....so I trim the ends myself here..I miss Amman hairdressers :(, The first thing I want to do is go for a haircut.
You have to have 3ain 2weieh, scare them before they start...he he he .

Sam said...

isnt this funny, few of my freinds wait untill they go back home to get their hairs cut, i guess it is what you are used to eh? first time i went to elyas salon near some duwar...i forgot which one, and the second was salon tarek at um elsoma'a....i went to that one because it was a walking distance away...it is all my husband's fault!

7aki Fadi said...

You will love Emad, he talks a lot though, oh oh , he is cute, he looks like Omar al-shareef when he was younger...LOL

Me said...

Sam, that was a funny post..i am sorry but i laughed reading it!! sorry about your hair cut. Disasters do happen when you are not ready for them, i guess this is why they are called disasters! when i am in Amman i go to Rupina in Abdoun, but i am not big of doing my hair, i just get a trim every four to six months and thats it...hair dressers love to cut hair, so never give them the freedom to do so!! last time i went to get my hair blow dried i went to the next door guy and he did trim my hair a little shorter than i wanted, but i really had no time to get mad about it, i had a busy day! have a great day!

Sam said...

Summer, it is ok, my hair has grown now, 6months later, so i finally i can laugh about it, you should have seen the guy, i was cursing at him in english and he did not understand a word I was saying..

Me said...

Good thing you cursed at him, even if he did not understand it..i am sure you felt better for saying something about it and he got the message!! that was a good story...but thank goodness that hair grows back!!